Last spring during Lent instead of giving up something, I spent a little bit of time each day coming up with 10 things that I was thankful for. I’m a little ashamed to admit that it was hard to come up with different things each time, but it also changed my mood each day. I realized how much I have, how absolutely blessed I am, and it really helped put me in a humble mood for lent. This year I got a little bit of a late start, but today I am going to share 10 things I am thankful for.
1. I am thankful for the chance to start each day anew.
2. I am thankful for my husband. For the way he makes me laugh, for the encouragement he gives me, and that he is my partner in each aspect of our lives.
3. I am thankful for my wonderful family. Growing up it took me awhile to realize how rare it is to have two parents who are still deeply in love, and two brothers who I am incredibly close with.
4. I am thankful for even more family. When you marry someone, you marry their family too. I am constantly thankful that Speed Racer’s family has taken me in as one of their own, without a batting an eye. I am always in awe of their kindness and thankful that I feel at home with them.
5. I am thankful for my friends. My friends are my family (hmm I’m thankful a lot for different family, I promise there will be some variety soon). I recently came across a photo of a bunch of our friends at the beach when we were in high school. It reminded me so much of a big family photo, and for the most part, I am still in contact with all of those people. Whether it’s childhood friends, high school, college, or new friends, I know that I can call any of them at a moments notice and they will be there for me, and that really means a lot.
6. I am thankful for Spring. I don’t do cold weather, seriously. I am cold when it’s 70 degrees outside, so I am so excited that warmer weather and more daylight is on it’s way.
7. I am thankful for a home. I think sometimes we take having “shelter” for granted. Since we’re working on remodeling our home, it’s easy for me to get into the habit of just seeing all the things that need to get done. So I try to take a step back and just be thankful that I have a roof over my head, and a warm bed.
8. I am thankful for food. I love food, all food, any food (well maybe not beans). So even when our grocery bill is tight or I’m frustrated by the grocery store, I am thankful that I have food to choose from and the ability to put it on our table.
9. I am thankful for my job. It’s the middle of the week, so all of us are dragging ourselves through work just trying to hit the weekend. But during all the dragging, I try to remind myself that I am so thankful that I have a job…period.
10. And the last one I’m just gonna pick a random happy thankful thing, and that is for children’s laughter. I know this is super corny and over the top but it surprised me the other day when I heard a toddler laughing that since we don’t have kids and a lot of our family in the area don’t have young kids anymore, that I just don’t hear it that often. And it is a truly beautiful thing.