…I get up in the morning. This may be news to some of you but I am not a morning person. I can get up, sure, but I am not one of those people who can wake up at 5:00 am every morning with a smile on my face. I’m looking at you, Dad. So why do it? Why put myself through all the struggle, the pain, the frustration of merely having to open my eyes. Here are a few reasons.
Getting up Reasons:
1. Guilt. My guilt is split depending on what day it is. If I am getting up to go to work, I feel guilty if my alarm goes off more than once because Speed Racer gets up after me. If I have a day off, I feel guilty sleeping in because Speed Racer is off saving the day. I may have a guilt problem.
2. Because I have to. Unfortunately reality is a cruel mistress, and while I remember thinking getting up at 8am or 9am at college was early, that’s just not when work starts these days.
3. The kitties. There are times when I wake in the wee hours of the morning to the sounds of persistent mews and visions of terrible things dance before my eyes. The kitties, especially Ms. Brisco, are my snooze. Once they hear my alarm go off once, if I’m not up in five minutes they start serenading me. Evil, evil kitties.
4. Breakfast. I love breakfast. Most people these days grab a pop tart, or eat something at work. I enjoy waking up with breakfast and it makes me a nicer person if I do. Think homemade cinnamon rolls….mmmm.
5. Coffee. Believe it or not, I drink decaf even in the mornings. It’s not that I don’t love caffeine, but caffeine doesn’t love me. But there is something about having a hot drink in your hand when you start the day. And I love the smell. This week I have experimented with having the pot on a timer and starting the brew when I am suppose to be getting up. Works like a charm.
6. I love having a full day. As much as I love sleeping in, and I hate waking up. Once I am awake I really do appreciate having a full day to do whatever I would like. Especially with the days getting darker earlier, I feel like I only have a select time to enjoy the light.
7. Surprises. You never know what the day is going to bring, and that’s what makes life exciting and different to me. I look forward to it.
8. People. Surprised? Yes, some mornings this is why I want to stay in bed. But most of the time I look forward to conversing with others, seeing what topics might come up, seeing friends and family, and building relationships.
9. Time. I know this is something everyone says, and it sounds kinda hokey, but I don’t know how much time I have. Life can be short, life and be long, but I really love my life and I want to enjoy it.
10. Speed Racer. Other than feeling guilty for waking him time after time with my alarm, every single day I look forward to just being with him. I can’t wait to talk to him, love him, cuddle with him, and see what happens with our life.